[MPlayer-users] Subtitles drawn by -ass overlap when rendered into black borders produced by -vf expand

Marcus Blumhagen marcus.blumhagen at web.de
Tue Jul 24 22:41:49 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 12:07:35AM +0700, ajaxas wrote:
> libass has special options for expanding the borders:
> -ass-bottom-margin [x]
> -ass-top-margin [x]
> -ass-use-margins
>
> man mplayer

Sorry for not mentioning that I also read that. But this is still a
good bit more complicated, than just putting the before mentioned
filter chain into my day to day config file, and knowing it would
always render the correct border heights for me, by simply fill up the
screen to maintain my prefered aspect. Using -ass-*-margin I would
have to calculate them for every movie I would like to enjoy with
SSA/ASS subtitles, at least to maintain the aspect ratio. And there
are some movies where the display aspect ratio differs from the pixel
aspect.

Also, not the expand filter seems to be the problem in my eyes, since
only in some circumstances those subtitles don't work together with
it. And that is in the presence of pp and/or hqdn3d. So in general
there would be no need for the extra options for ass margins.

But OK, if there is no other way, like I already said, I can live with
that.

I'd then like to suggest that maybe this can taken as a wishlist item,
because from my POV as a user I cannot see why especially those
subtitles can't be drawn on some black area without taking care where
those other filters are. Shouldn't it be like drawing into a simple
image which coincidentally happens to have some black area at the
bottom?

Or maybe some little changes, so that the -ass-*-margin give one the
possibility to generalize like the expand filter does, since the only
real constant is the aspect of my TV screen ;).

And if there is really absolutely no way to get it done as I'd wish,
then this should be mentioned somewhere in the man page or in the
documentation, since I haven't read any note or warning, mentioning
that one *must* use those -ass*margin options instead of the expand
filter. The description for them -ass*margin option suggested, that it
need not be used, and since the expand filter claims to do something
similar and is a lot smarter in terms of configuration I used it.