[MPlayer-users] -dumpfile with dvd:// - determine output file size?

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Tue Jul 31 17:53:31 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've written a GUI which allows my users to select a DVD title, audio and
subtitle tracks and import them to my server for playback. I should point
out here that my purpose is not piracy; the application is a screen server
for a movie theatre which occasionally needs to play back DVDs, and it's
more reliable to extract them to hard disk first.

To do so, I'm using the -dumpfile commandline switch to create a composite
.vob of the entire title. I would like to be able to give my users a
progress bar or percentage-complete indication, even if it's fairly
approximate. At the moment I am simply reading the size of the output file
to give the user some indication that something is happening, but I have no
indication of how large the file will eventually be. It seems to be roughly
the same size as the .vobs on the DVD that make up that title, but not
exactly, and in any case I have no way of identifying which .vobs make up
which title without parsing the .ifo files, which is a bit outside the scope
of the project. I know the duration of the title, but with VBR compression
on DVDs that would end up being hopelessly inaccurate.

Is there any way I can get information which will allow me to give the user
a progress report? Even just the .vob filenames would be useful, or perhaps
an indication of the expected output filesize. It's OK if I have run mplayer
against the DVD several times with different commandline switches to get
this information. My filesize strategy may not be the best approach, so any
suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Phil