[MPlayer-users] -dumpfile with dvd:// - determine output file size?

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Tue Jul 31 18:38:49 CEST 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 04:53:31PM +0100, Phil Rhodes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've written a GUI which allows my users to select a DVD title, audio and
> subtitle tracks and import them to my server for playback. I should point
> out here that my purpose is not piracy; the application is a screen server
> for a movie theatre which occasionally needs to play back DVDs, and it's
> more reliable to extract them to hard disk first.
>
> To do so, I'm using the -dumpfile commandline switch to create a composite
> .vob of the entire title. I would like to be able to give my users a
> progress bar or percentage-complete indication, even if it's fairly
> approximate. At the moment I am simply reading the size of the output file
> to give the user some indication that something is happening, but I have no
> indication of how large the file will eventually be. It seems to be roughly
> the same size as the .vobs on the DVD that make up that title, but not
> exactly, and in any case I have no way of identifying which .vobs make up
> which title without parsing the .ifo files, which is a bit outside the scope
> of the project. I know the duration of the title, but with VBR compression
> on DVDs that would end up being hopelessly inaccurate.
>
> Is there any way I can get information which will allow me to give the user
> a progress report? Even just the .vob filenames would be useful, or perhaps
> an indication of the expected output filesize. It's OK if I have run mplayer
> against the DVD several times with different commandline switches to get
> this information. My filesize strategy may not be the best approach, so any
> suggestions welcomed.

mplayer -dumpfile dvd://1 will copy the content of the files
  VTS_01_1.VOB VTS_01_2.VOB VTS_01_3.VOB .... VTS_01_n.VOB
just sum the size of such files in order to have a good guess
of the dumped files size.

In the same way:
mplayer -dumpfile dvd://5 will copy the content of the files
  VTS_05_1.VOB VTS_05_2.VOB VTS_05_3.VOB .... VTS_05_n.VOB

and so on.

Things are different if you use -chapter n-m or the dvd is
multiangle.

Ciao
Giacomo