[MPlayer-users] Playback issues with dual-core - audio/video out of sync

Brano branob at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 18:41:02 CEST 2007

-------- Original Message --------

> Hi Brano!
>
>  On 2007.06.04 at 09:08:20 -0400, Brano wrote next:
>
>> I've recently upgraded my single core Athlon for Dual-core Athlon CPU
>> (just a CPU swap, no other changes on the system).
>>
>> Since the swap, on some movies played through mplayer viedo and audio
>> gets randomly out of sync.
>> More specific, audio continues to play OK, but video is approximately 2x
>> the speed. This starts anywhere in the movie and stops when I manually
>> do FF and play again. I've seen it on MKV h264 files mostly, but on divx
>> too.
>>
>> Any ideas what may be wrong?
>
> Maybe you don't have enough cpu power anymore, because each core of
> current cpu is slower than former single-core cpu?
> What are exact names of old and new cpus? Does top show close to 100%
> cpu usage when playing such files?
>
> Other thing that can /probably/ lead to such results is timer issues.
> I don't know if they can appear in your case, but updating bios and
> getting newer linux kernel may help.

Thanks for response.
The upgrade was from Athlon64 3200+ to Athlon64 X2 3800+.
When playing 720p movie on the dual core the one core is somewhere
around 40-50% peaking to 75%. The other core is pretty much 0%.
The same movie on the old single core was somewhere 60-80% CPU.

The weird thing is that this is not happening always. It's random.
Sometime 30min into movie, sometime later on. Not on the same spot.
Suddenly the video starts running faster but the sound is OK. When I hit
FF and Play everything synces again.
I've never experienced this on the old CPU.

Kernel is (and was) 2.6.20.7-default.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brano