[MPlayer-users] 4K Resolution with mplayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Mar 3 19:03:41 CET 2007

Hello,
On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 06:04:06PM +0100, Georg Leugner wrote:
> I need to make a proof of concept asap. So first I did run four synchron
> mplayer using a 2k htdtv movie (elephants dream) without any problems.

What kind of hardware is that?? You absolutely must use a single-CPU,
single core system if you want useful CPU usage figures (I assume the 4k
film will be encoded as one single file, not as four 2k files?? My
advice: get yourself a file with _exactly_ the format of what you need
to play in the end ASAP otherwise you'll just waste lots and lots of time
fixing problems that don't exist while not fixing those that actually do
exist)

> My plans are to plug in a second graphic card, configure Xinerama for
> four screens and test the resolution in this way. Do you think this test
> is sufficient, or do I need to consider other problems?

How will you make one image out of those outputs? Also, with xinerama
over multiple cards, you can only use -vo x11 which is useless since it
does not support vsync. IOW I expect any solution involving more than
one card is a dead end.
Maybe one card with two screens at 2048x2... might work, but you will
have to use OpenGL, with stable drivers and supporting 4096x... sized
textures, so something fairly new.
(Again, assuming the 4k video is encoded as one 4k-resolution file).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger