[MPlayer-users] Crash on OS X 10.3.9

Risto Suominen risto.suominen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 17:35:54 CET 2007

On 3/9/07, Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 3/9/07, Risto Suominen <risto.suominen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So there is no way to upgrade Xcode (1.5?) in Panther?
>
> Not that I know of. newer Xcode seem to require 10.5.
>

> > What is so special about those files that don't compile with less than
> > 2.0? Is it the gcc version that counts? Which files are they?
>
> I think it's just the project file that hasn't been maintained so that
> it works with 10.3.
> The main developer of mplayerosx probably doesn't have a machine with
> an old xcode on it, that's all.
> I doubt that gcc version matters. MPlayer compiles fine with gcc from xcode 1.5.
>

> > About the documentation: the INSTALL.txt included in mplayerosx talks
> > about cvs instead of svn. I haven't tried that, so I don't really know
> > what I'm talking about. In STEP1 it instructs to copy ffmpeg source
> > into main tree, in my svn tree it seems to be there already. I thought
> > they were only two alternative ways of getting the same source.
>
> I just fixed that.
>

> > In STEP4, I don't have the mplayer target in the Makefile, but, as
> > above, I haven't tried the cvs tree, only svn. And the INSTALL.txt
> > doesn't mention the main_noaltivec tree, as in the web documentation
> > (12.5.1).
> >
> > The web documentation suggests --with-termcaplib switch for configure,
> > mine doesn't accept it.
>
> from my experience, it doesn't look like this switch is necessary
> anymore, I'm gonna remove it.
>

> > The following I felt a bit misleading:
> >
> > "You first need to build main and main_noaltivec.
> >
> > Next, set a global variable:"
> >
> > (then come the instructions for building them). Instead of "Next"
> > there might be "To begin with".
>
> Thanks for your feedback, thanks to you, the doc has slightly improved.
>
> Guillaume

Now this is getting interesting... (This is my first experience with Xcode)

I took the old-style project into Xcode (1.5) and manually changed
some file names and unchecked the localization part. Then I could
actually compile it. And run, but only once.

It complained about the machine not having altivec support (and
forcing framedrop), but continued and looked ok (a menu bar and a
small control panel window). I just quit and started again, and now it
crashed, just like the binary installation did.

The question is whether this has something to do with my machine, OS
X, or mplayer?

So, if I compile a new version every time I need it...

Risto