[MPlayer-users] Help - Gmplayer won't work :(

Ah-Young, Merv Mervyn.J.Ah-Young at team.telstra.com
Mon Mar 19 02:56:13 CET 2007

Hi all,

I've just installed OpenSUSE 10.2 on my Acer 8005LMi Notebook and it's a
very slick O/S.

Anyway, I obtained mplayer via svn and it compiled / installed OK as far
as I could tell.

When I try to launch "gmplayer", I get the following error:

====================================
merv at porsche:~/Downloads> gmplayer
MPlayer dev-SVN-r22742-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.80GHz (Family: 6, Model: 13,
Stepping: 6)
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-VidModeExtension" missing on display ":0.0".
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: Connection refused
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-VidModeExtension" missing on display ":0.0".
====================================

The remote control isn't displayed and if I try to open a video file to
play, the gui simply exits.

I assume the skin is installed properly because the window displays
properly (using the default Blue skin).

I can play any video file OK using "mplayer" from the CLI, but gmplayer
crashes and burns :(

Anyway, any ideas why the above error is coming up?  Is there something
I need to add into my xorg.conf file?

Could XGL be affecting this at all?

Advice appreciated.

Cheers,