[MPlayer-users][Solved] mplayer journal.rm -> gives no result

info at danielerossi.net info at danielerossi.net
Thu Mar 22 19:18:46 CET 2007

*various about seeking and flash conversion:*

Baron Christophe wrote:
> You mean with ".rm" files, or whatever.
> For me, for "some" files, eg. those fetched from youtube,
> but also others, even after a conversion, eg., mencode -oac mp3lame
> -ovc lavc input.flv -o output.avi, I can't seek through, but
> I can if I play it with option -idx. However, for the example
> "above", I can seek through, even before conversion.
> (out of topic) These flv videos can be very poor one the informations
> they provide about themselves. And to convert them I have to
> indicate the number of "fps" of the source file in order to have
> the sound and the image synchronized. And one these videos, it
> (mencoder)
> does not
> built an index automaticaly for them (it could probably
> be fixed, but I don't yet know how).
> (I do not touch the thing you mentioned earlier).

I guess that probably mplayer in some version with -idx otion let you
seek .rm files and with some other does not.
With my version 1.0rc1-3.4.2 (on winxp) it does not.

Now about flash video:

*getting info*: I use now media info
"http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en", gpl witch gives you a good
information.
for some other file formats is a nice tool gspot (on windows).
For some desperate case I play them in mplayer and I read the output in
the console (you might use -v option)

*encode them*:
(example at 640x480, fps 15 or 30)

using mencoder:
mencoder yourfile.any -ofps 15 -o yourfile.flv -of lavf -lavfopts
i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -nosound -ovc lavc
-lavcopts
vcodec=flv:vbitrate=1000:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last_pred=3:predia=2:dia=2:vmax_b_frames=0:vb_strategy=1:precmp=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2:preme=2:qns=2
-vop scale=640:480

using ffmpeg:
ffmpeg.exe" -i yourfile.any -b 1600 -r 30 -s 640x480 -hq -deinterlace
-ab 56 -ar 22050 -ac 1  yourfile.flv

and after you can add some tag useful for streaming with flvtool2
flvtool2.exe u yourfile.flv

those files are seekable on my system.

cheers daniele