[MPlayer-users] Erroneous Aspect Ratio detection on DVDs with Pan&Scan Feature

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Fri Mar 30 00:29:14 CEST 2007

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Alexander Roalter wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> another issue which I came across and has never been addressed on this
>> list will be presented in this posting:
>>
>> It's about DVDs which have a Pan&Scan flag. Such a flag should in
>> theory tell the player how to zoom into a video (given the case the
>> DVD player is set to P&S instead of 4:3LB or 16:9), which should also
>> include the possibility to PAN around (not simple zoom), but in all
>> cases I've encountered so far does only zoom in (as with pressing the
>> 'e'-Key in mplayer until the picture is full frame).
>>
>> I've had this with older James Bond DVDs and recently on my Raging
>> Bull Ultimate Gold Edition (German Version). This should be
>> practically identical to the british Raging Bull Cinema Reserve or MGM
>> Ultimate Edition.
>>
>> Problem is: Although these DVDs are encoded anamorphic, mplayer thinks
>> they're not and shows a stretched picture. Adding -aspect 16:9 helps,
>> but this should be done automatically, as the correct aspect ratio is
>> misdetected.
>

> I agree, IMO lavc treats incorrectly this kind information.
> I guess it should leave DAR and SAR unchanged and export in AVPanScan
> the WxY set in the
> sequence_extension.
ok, now from what I found out (together with the info I gathered this
afternoon, there could be a way to find out if this pan&Scan is active
and therefore either a) the aspect ratio has to be overridden
(automatically) with 16:9 or b) the aspect ratio has to be overridden
and the picture zoomed into (-panscan 1), as it would be on a TV-Set
with "4:3 P&S"-Setting. Default behavior should be 4:3 LB or 16:9 LB
(doesn't make really a difference on a computer, and with -monitoraspect
one can emulate anamorphic output on the TV-Out to gain vertical resolution.

Now, in the libdvdread (not the one in mplayer, but the real separate
lib, version 0.9.6) contains some programs in its src-Directory. first
comes ifo_dump.

When applied to my Raging-Bull-DVD, I get (amongst other things) the
following lines:

Start sector of VTS_C_ADT:       0000000d
Start sector of VTS_VOBU_ADMAP:  0000000e
Video attributes of VTSM_VOBS: mpeg2 pal 16:9 only pan&scan U0 Variable
Bit Rate 720x576 video
VTSM Number of Audio attributes: 1
         stream 1 status: ac3 48kHz 2Ch Not specified 0
VTSM Number of Sub-picture attributes: 1
         stream  1 status: -- Unspecified --
Video attributes of VTS_VOBS: mpeg2 pal 16:9 pan&scan+letterboxed U0
Variable Bit Rate 720x576 video
VTS Number of Audio attributes: 7
         stream 0 status: ac3 en ( ) 48kHz 6Ch Not specified 0
         stream 1 status: dts en ( ) 48kHz 6Ch Not specified 0

While all other anamorphic DVDs (without this pan&scan thingo show

Start sector of VTS_VOBU_ADMAP:  00000027
Video attributes of VTSM_VOBS: mpeg2 pal 16:9 only letterboxed U0
Variable Bit Rate 720x576 video
VTSM Number of Audio attributes: 1
         stream 1 status: ac3 48kHz 2Ch Not specified 0
VTSM Number of Sub-picture attributes: 1
         stream  1 status: -- Unspecified --
Video attributes of VTS_VOBS: mpeg2 pal 16:9 only letterboxed U0
Variable Bit Rate 720x576 video
VTS Number of Audio attributes: 8
         stream 0 status: ac3 en ( ) 48kHz 2Ch Not specified 0
         stream 1 status: ac3 de ( ) 48kHz 2Ch Not specified 0

its also a matter of finding out if there's this "pan&scan+letterboxed"
or "only letterboxed"

I'm still at a loss finding out which of these lines is the right one.
it's the VTSM_VOBS or VTS_VOBS-Line???

any help?