[MPlayer-users] Erroneous Aspect Ratio detection on DVDs with Pan&Scan Feature

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at email.it
Fri Mar 30 18:35:53 CEST 2007

Alexander Roalter wrote:

> Now, in the libdvdread (not the one in mplayer, but the real separate
> lib, version 0.9.6) contains some programs in its src-Directory. first
> comes ifo_dump.
>
> When applied to my Raging-Bull-DVD, I get (amongst other things) the
> following lines:
>

> Start sector of VTS_C_ADT:       0000000d
> Start sector of VTS_VOBU_ADMAP:  0000000e
> Video attributes of VTSM_VOBS: mpeg2 pal 16:9 only pan&scan U0
> Variable Bit Rate 720x576 video
> VTSM Number of Audio attributes: 1
>         stream 1 status: ac3 48kHz 2Ch Not specified 0
> VTSM Number of Sub-picture attributes: 1
>         stream  1 status: -- Unspecified --
> Video attributes of VTS_VOBS: mpeg2 pal 16:9 pan&scan+letterboxed U0
> Variable Bit Rate 720x576 video
> VTS Number of Audio attributes: 7
>         stream 0 status: ac3 en ( ) 48kHz 6Ch Not specified 0
>         stream 1 status: dts en ( ) 48kHz 6Ch Not specified 0
>

> While all other anamorphic DVDs (without this pan&scan thingo show
>
> Start sector of VTS_VOBU_ADMAP:  00000027
> Video attributes of VTSM_VOBS: mpeg2 pal 16:9 only letterboxed U0
> Variable Bit Rate 720x576 video
> VTSM Number of Audio attributes: 1
>         stream 1 status: ac3 48kHz 2Ch Not specified 0
> VTSM Number of Sub-picture attributes: 1
>         stream  1 status: -- Unspecified --
> Video attributes of VTS_VOBS: mpeg2 pal 16:9 only letterboxed U0
> Variable Bit Rate 720x576 video
> VTS Number of Audio attributes: 8
>         stream 0 status: ac3 en ( ) 48kHz 2Ch Not specified 0
>         stream 1 status: ac3 de ( ) 48kHz 2Ch Not specified 0
>

> its also a matter of finding out if there's this
> "pan&scan+letterboxed" or "only letterboxed"
>
> I'm still at a loss finding out which of these lines is the right one.
> it's the VTSM_VOBS or VTS_VOBS-Line???
>
> any help?

VTSM stands for video titleset menu, so even the menu has the panscan flag.
In any case we can't rely  on the IFOs to change the A/R, and that info
is even
totally useless because it's already in the video stream itself

 Sponsor:
 Videocorso di marketing: impara dagli esperti del settore come fare
* un marketing di successo per la tua attivita'
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=6200&d=30-3