[MPlayer-users] Playing ultra-high resolution video

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu May 17 10:36:17 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 07:47:17PM -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:
[...]
> However mplayer (on a high-end ATI card) doesn't seem to be able to
> come close to this, even at Full HD.  Once it reads the 1.5 gig video
> clip off of disk, the disk activity goes to zero so I know it's now
> pulling from memory.  Yet I'm getting, maybe, 10fps.

First of all find out where the problem lies. Look at the values in the
status line while MPlayer plays. Check "top" for anything unusual like
high IO-wait. Use e.g. -cache 40960 and -nocache.
Try lossless encoding e.g. in huffyuv, the decoding overhead can be
lower than that of just copying around such large amounts of data.
Make sure you have a CPU where the full frame easily fits in the cache
(I have some doubts that is actually possible unless you go Itanium ;-) ).

> Will using the 64-bit version of mplayer make a ×2 speed difference
> relative to the 32-bit

No. 20 % are possible, but probably not when no decoding is involved
like in your case.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger