[MPlayer-users] Playing ultra-high resolution video

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu May 17 10:54:29 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 07:47:17PM -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:
[...]
> If the video is entirely in memory, what's the best way to play it in
> semi-real time (24 fps or higher)?  I have just ordered an Nvidia
> Quadro FX5500 which is a dual - dual-link (sic) card.  The card
> bandwidth is there.  So is the memory bandwidth.

How do you know the bandwidth is there? The normal way to do this means
the OS must copy the data out of the cache into application memory and
then from application memory to video memory (if you're unlucky
involving yet anotehr copy to memory). Can your memory really handle the
1.5 to 2.2 GB/s needed for that, in addition to the load caused by
trashing the cache completely during each copy?
You probably should also try oprofile to find the bottlenecks.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger