[MPlayer-users] Problems with reading/dumping rtsp streams on Ubuntu Edgy

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat May 26 14:22:49 CEST 2007

Eric Zimmerman wrote:

> The crux of the problem seems to be around these two lines:
>
> rdt chunk not recognized: got 0x53
> rdt chunk not recognized: got 0x4d
>
> I get an output file of 502 bytes every time.
>
> The same error arises when I try to just play this same stream, so I
> am not sure of the problem or how to track it down.
>
> I also get the same error no matter what rtsp stream I try.

> eric at eric-desktop:~/.mplayer$ mplayer -msglevel all=9 -dumpstream
> rtsp://a1393.v5913b.c5913.g.vr.akamaistream.net/ondemand/7/1393/5913/40e46bd7/whitehouse.download.akamai.com/5913/20010926-1.v.rm
>  -dumpfile 20010926-5.rm

Plays just fine for me (albeit rather choppily), with no error messages,
with SVN revision 23315 from earlier this month. My copy of the dumped
file is 2.1MB.

> MPlayer 2:1.0~rc1-0ubuntu9 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team

Your MPlayer is more than six months old and also, if I'm not mistaken,
is a third-party packaged version. Neither of these are supported here
except in corner cases. Please update to the latest SVN version (or
something approximating that) and try again.

> rdt chunk not recognized: got 0x53
>
> rdt chunk not recognized: got 0x4d
>
> Core dumped ;)

Note also that this last message, "Core dumped ;)", is normal with the
-dumpstream option; it means that the core of the stream you specified
has been dumped to a file. Many people seem to think that this is
unreasonably misleading, but the bulk of the developers seem firmly
enough on the side of retaining the joke that it is unlikely to be
removed anytime soon.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.