[MPlayer-users] Is there any way I can point mplayer directly to an IP address + port?

cga2000 cga2000 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 15:41:14 CET 2007

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 04:28:53AM EST, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 10:18:09PM -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> [...]
> > I am very grateful for all your help and I just can't think (since this
> > appears to be a publicly funded radio station) why these flaky idiots
> > do not give out the links in the first place.
>
> Most likely that is because there are just average people working there
> which means most of them have never used a command line so they don't
> have a clue what good such a link would be.

Their "aide" (help) page states that:

"Radio France ne souhaite pas vous donner les adresses directes des flux
pour écouter nos stations directement dans windows media player."

OTOH, they do provide the links to all their radios for those who don't
mind listening in mp3 format.

To me this sounds like they are trying to cover their French asses
relative to all these new laws and regulations that are currently being
implemented to protect the music business.

Since they do not do likewise for the mp3 streams, I would speculate
that this may have to do with the inferior sound quality of this
particular technology, making it less likely/harmful that someone might
want to copy the streams to their HDD?

> Also I'd say they do better than some others, things work "perfectly"
> with mplayerplug-in, which can't be said of some other pages...

A more practical reason why I prefer not to use the mplayer plugin to
listen to radio streams is that with seamonkey at least, it is rather
CPU-intensive and rapidly causes the laptop's fan to start whining.. all
but ruining the listening experience.

In any event the folks who designed these pages are not to blame .. the
"flaky idiots" was really meant for their management.

I'll take that back anyway .. never a good idea to lose one's cool in
public.

I would be very curious to know how you figured out the link this time
especially since this "france vivace" radio station has a noticeably
higher sound quality than the other one.. and I wouldn't put it past
them changing their urls once in a while.

Thank you again for all your help.