[MPlayer-users] why my mplayer hangs?

YP yellow.penguin at edpnet.be
Fri Oct 12 11:30:44 CEST 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 11:00:18AM +0200, Alexander Roalter wrote:
> YP wrote:

> >> too old. Use latest SVN or RC2
> >
> > The version I'm using on Sarge (now a Very Old Debian distro) is Older than
> > the one who comes with Etch .deb packages, and it works.
> >
> > The problem isn't probably the version, but a config problem; I'm looking
> > for how to resolve it, not how I can upgrade it;
> >
> > btw I'm not spending my time with compiling lots of packages just for an
> > mplayer.
> >
> > Unfortunately, escept sending here my lsmod and lspci output, I don't know
> > what I should do since it totally hangs the running console.
> >
> > Y P
>
> So basically you're saying you don't want to upgrade mplayer, but here
> the people at the mplayer mailing list should tell you what's wrong with
> your system (since mplayer cannot be the problem, as you don't want to
> upgrade/fix it).

You misunderstood me: lots of people like me does use Debian-based
distributions; if the goals is to compile and recompile, then why shouldn't
I use Linux From Scratch ?
And you also misunderstood something but maybe it's because of my poor
English:
it hands ONLY the console where I'm running for ex. mplayer file.wmv;
the problem of totally handcomes later, if I'm not fast enough to open a
console to type a reboot, then I lose everywhere the prompt.

IMHO I must see if the problem is caused by the Intel chip; maybe its easier
for me to add a video card to my pc, I'm sure that will help, but I have
sended some outputs so that Mplayer Guru's should be able to diagnose the
problem.

If there was a standard option of creating a log file for mplayer under
/var/log, maybe mplayer.log, then maybe I was able to post taht file and
make the diagnose easier.

YP

PS: answering a question with "please do upgrade" is a well known typical
answer I heared for years in the non-free software world...