[MPlayer-users] Unable to convert WMV files through ASP site, but all other formats work and WMV works from cmd line

John Pletka jpletka at abraxis.com
Tue Oct 30 17:45:32 CET 2007

I'm coming across an odd problem.  I have a classic ASP site that is
using ASPExec.Execute to call mencoder and convert uploaded videos to
the flash format.  This process works for for all video formats except
WMV.  When I run the exact same command from the command line however,
the WMV files convert fine.   The ASP based call stops before the line
"VideoDecoder::SetExtAttr: registry failure", which may provide some
clue.  The output ends up being an 0 byte file.

Here is my mencoder call:

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\host.com\videos\irvin.wmv -of lavf -lavfopts
i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=flv:vbitrate=150 -ofps 15 -oac mp3lame -lameopts
abr:br=32 -srate 22050 -vf scale=320:-3 -o
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\host.com\videos\irvin.wmv.flv

Here is the final bit of output when run from the ASP page:

Opening video decoder: [dshow] DirectShow video codecs
Decoder supports the following YUV formats: YUY2 IYUV UYVY YV12 YVYU I420 YVU9
Decoder is capable of YUV output (flags 0x7f)
VDec: vo config request - 320 x 240 (preferred colorspace: Packed YUY2)
[PP] Using codec's postprocessing, max q = 4.
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
videocodec: libavcodec (320x240 fourcc=766c66 [flv])
Done

When I run the exact same command from the command line on the server, I get:

Opening video decoder: [dshow] DirectShow video codecs
Decoder supports the following YUV formats: YUY2 IYUV UYVY YV12 YVYU I420 YVU9
Decoder is capable of YUV output (flags 0x7f)
VDec: vo config request - 320 x 240 (preferred colorspace: Packed YUY2)
[PP] Using codec's postprocessing, max q = 4.
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
SwScaler: using unscaled yuv420p -> yuv420p special converter
videocodec: libavcodec (320x240 fourcc=766c66 [flv])
VideoDecoder::SetExtAttr: registry failure
Selected video codec: [wmv8] vfm: dshow (Windows Media Video 8)
MP3 audio selected.
New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.
VIDEO CODEC ID: 0
AUDIO CODEC ID: 15001, TAG: 0
Writing header...