[MPlayer-users] Quicktime video doesn't play

Jeremy Hansen jebrhansen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 01:21:29 CEST 2007

> My first thought was that I might be missing the Quicktime codec even
> though I saw the line
> Selected video codec: [ffrpza] vfm: ffmpeg (QuickTime Apple Video)
> so I downloaded Linux AMD64 20062003, untarred it and read the README
> file.  Didn't know how to tell where to put them so I tried
> /usr/local/lib/codecs, /usr/lib/codecs, /usr/lib/win32 and even
> /usr/lib64/codecs.  Reran mplayer and got the same result.

You need to rebuild mplayer with either the codecs in the directory
mentioned in the README or specify where they are at. The ffrpza codec
is one that is included with ffmpeg so it doesn't always do as well as
the binary.

It might also help to have a sample file for others to test it with.

Good Luck
Jeremy