[MPlayer-users] Generating film strips

Šimon Tóth happy.cerberus at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 02:11:40 CEST 2007

Hi,

i have recently been forced to move to Linux and there are only few
things which I miss. One of them is software for generating film strip /
video previews (media player classic does this very good).

I have tried writing my own bash script using mplayer and imagemagick,
the problem is that the only working way is to save ALL frames thru png
video output. This is not only completely stupid, but also very slow and
requires a lot of disk space.

I have tried calculating the required frames and then using "mplayer
-frames 1 -ss frame -vo png file" and "mplayer -sstep timestep -vo png
file" but the first one creates odd results (artifacts in screens) and
the second one sometimes jumps thru keyframes and doesn't generate the
desired number of frames.

So, is there any way how I can make video preview using mplayer, or is
there any chance that this feature will be added (should be a realy
small peace of code).

Thx for answers

--
Simon Toth