[MPlayer-users] avi files

jose Young young2 at edicionescc.com
Mon Sep 10 19:47:44 CEST 2007

I recently installed Mplayer to be able to play some CDs I have with
.avi files.

The program found the file, but when I tried to open it I got the
following message:

"Error opening/initializing the selected viod-out (-vo) device."

So following the instructions I found in the help section, I did the
following at command line and got the result:

jose at jose-y:~$ mplayer -vo help
MPlayer 2:1.0~rc1-0ubuntu9.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz (Family: 15, Model: 1, Stepping: 2)
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
Available video output drivers:
        xmga    Matrox G200/G4x0/G550 overlay in X11 window (using
/dev/mga_vid)
        mga     Matrox G200/G4x0/G550 overlay (/dev/mga_vid)
        tdfxfb  3Dfx Banshee/Voodoo3/Voodoo5
        3dfx    3dfx (/dev/3dfx)
        xv      X11/Xv
        x11     X11 ( XImage/Shm )
        xover   General X11 driver for overlay capable video output drivers
        gl      X11 (OpenGL)
        gl2     X11 (OpenGL) - multiple textures version
        dga     DGA ( Direct Graphic Access V2.0 )
        sdl     SDL YUV/RGB/BGR renderer (SDL v1.1.7+ only!)
        ggi     General Graphics Interface (GGI) output
        fbdev   Framebuffer Device
        fbdev2  Framebuffer Device
        aa      AAlib
        caca    libcaca
        dxr3    DXR3/H+ video out
        xvidix  X11 (VIDIX)
        cvidix  console VIDIX
        null    Null video output
        xvmc    XVideo Motion Compensation
        mpegpes Mpeg-PES to DVB card
        yuv4mpeg        yuv4mpeg output for mjpegtools
        png     PNG file
        jpeg    JPEG file
        gif89a  animated GIF output
        tga     Targa output
        pnm     PPM/PGM/PGMYUV file
        md5sum  md5sum of each frame

The next step is supposed to be "Select the correct video output
driver", but how am I supposed to know which one that could be? This
takes me beyond my experience. I am running Ubuntu with the Gnome interface.

Thanks for any help.

José