[MPlayer-users] avi files

Piotr Stachura albert1 at autocom.pl
Mon Sep 10 19:57:52 CEST 2007

Dnia poniedziałek, 10 września 2007, jose Young napisał:
> I recently installed Mplayer to be able to play some CDs I have with
> .avi files.
>
> The program found the file, but when I tried to open it I got the
> following message:
>
> "Error opening/initializing the selected viod-out (-vo) device."

First of all, if this is copied string, it's quite strange (typo). Anyway it
doesn't give any informations for us. Please provide full "mplayer -v
played_file"
where played_file is your file.

> So following the instructions I found in the help section, I did the
> following at command line and got the result:
>         xmga    Matrox G200/G4x0/G550 overlay in X11 window (using
> /dev/mga_vid)
>         mga     Matrox G200/G4x0/G550 overlay (/dev/mga_vid)
>         tdfxfb  3Dfx Banshee/Voodoo3/Voodoo5
>         3dfx    3dfx (/dev/3dfx)
>         xv      X11/Xv
>         x11     X11 ( XImage/Shm )
>         xover   General X11 driver for overlay capable video output drivers
>         gl      X11 (OpenGL)
>         gl2     X11 (OpenGL) - multiple textures version
>         dga     DGA ( Direct Graphic Access V2.0 )
>         sdl     SDL YUV/RGB/BGR renderer (SDL v1.1.7+ only!)
>         ggi     General Graphics Interface (GGI) output
>         fbdev   Framebuffer Device
>         fbdev2  Framebuffer Device
>         aa      AAlib
>         caca    libcaca
>         dxr3    DXR3/H+ video out
>         xvidix  X11 (VIDIX)
>         cvidix  console VIDIX
>         null    Null video output
>         xvmc    XVideo Motion Compensation
>         mpegpes Mpeg-PES to DVB card
>         yuv4mpeg        yuv4mpeg output for mjpegtools
>         png     PNG file
>         jpeg    JPEG file
>         gif89a  animated GIF output
>         tga     Targa output
>         pnm     PPM/PGM/PGMYUV file
>         md5sum  md5sum of each frame
>
> The next step is supposed to be "Select the correct video output
> driver", but how am I supposed to know which one that could be? This
> takes me beyond my experience. I am running Ubuntu with the Gnome
> interface.

You should first test outputs xv, next x11 and xover. Later try gl2 or sdl. Of
course first output should be "correct" in most cases, if not send verbose
output.
Anyway, try to compile current SVN, rc1 is... an antique?? If you don't know
how, google for it, you will need devel packages from libs. Good luck!

--
Piotr Stachura