[MPlayer-users] Congratulations! & suggestion

Francois Visagie fvisagie at za.spescom.com
Tue Sep 25 08:52:17 CEST 2007

Hi All,

Congratulations!

For the past couple of years I'd been transferring DV home movies to AVI
files on CD with XviD compression. Because the originals (tapes) get
overwritten sooner or later, I wanted to be sure of getting the best quality
possible for the available amount of storage space. All told, I probably
spent a person-week or two comparing various settings and results before
deciding upon a final configuration.

Due to circumstance, that configuration got lost. I spent this past long
weekend recreating it, using old footage for reference (resolution, bitrate
etc.). When I was done I moved on to other things, and came across the
following formulae in MPlayer.htm:

ResY = INT(SQRT( 1000*Bitrate/25/ARc/CQ )/16) * 16 and ResX = INT( ResY *
ARc / 16) * 16

If you plug in my settings, such as bitrate and aspect ratio, you arrive at
exactly the same resolution I had arrived at by brute force. To me that
simultaneously validates the settings I'd been using, as well as those
formulae for future use. Very useful to know!

Suggestion:

Is there any way of modifying mencoder to record for future reference codec,
multiplexer etc. configurations as, say, private data in popular container
formats?

Regards,
Francois

This e-mail is sent on the Spescom Terms and Conditions
that can be accessed by clicking on this link http://www.spescom.com/email.html