[MPlayer-users] problem accessing BBC news site with mplayer plugin for Firefox

Kevin DeKorte kdekorte at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 21:52:54 CEST 2008

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_6900000/newsid_6903100?redirect=6903113.stm&news=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1&asb=1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/summaries/world/bb/video/world_bb.asx?ad=1&ct=50

| If you put this in the Firefox address bar and link directly to it, the
| advertisement also plays successfully. The second (news) video clip
| downloads, but only the sound is played, not the video.
|
| If you remove the "ad-1&ct=50" from the above URL and enter it in the
| Firefox address bar, the news video (without the advertisement
| pre-pended) plays perfectly.
|
| I am not a sophisticated user, and have tried to provide the
| documentation you requested for bug reports. as described in "A.6. What
| to report Appendix A. How to report bugs."
| (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html) One item
| which I have not provided is the mplayer output (trace?) with verbosity
| set to 1.  I could not figure out how to do this with mplayer plugin.
|
| Thanks very much
|
| Bob Weeks (bw44)
| bweeks44 at sympatico.ca

Bob,

First of all mplayerplug-in is not part of the mplayer project it is a
separate application.

So asking on the mplayerplug-in list probably would have been more
helpful than the mplayer or the Ubuntu list.

That said the BBC sites have two sets of data. One set that is available
in the UK and one set the is available everywhere. So you need to make
sure you are using the international sites if you are outside the UK.

Also, mplayerplug-in is being decommissioned and being replaced with
gecko-mediaplayer/gnome-mplayer. Those apps will just about everything
at the BBC even in real player mode.

Kevin

- --
Get my public GnuPG key from