[MPlayer-users] accurate VBR info, and more ... with midentify ?

Juri Mianovich juri_mian at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 22:50:44 CEST 2008

When I run 'midentify' against a VBR clip (mpeg, or
h.264) I often see either an incorrect number, or a
"0" in the video bitrate.

Why is this ?

I would like to know three things about a particular
VBR video file:

- average bitrate
- peak bitrate
- low/minimum bitrate

I realize that midentify does not show me the average
(not sure what it is showing me, when it shows
something >0) and I know that I will need to,
essentially, play the entire clip through in order to
get the peak/minimum bitrates (and probably to get the
average as well).

Is there a command line that will tell my system to
play the clip as fast as the CPU will allow it,
without any actual video playback (like midentify) so
that I can get those three numbers as fast as possible

Also, out of curiousity, when midentify shows me a VBR
birate of >0, what is it showing me, exactly ?

Finally, a lot of clips are giving me either
drastically wrong, or "0.00" for the:

field in midentify ... is there any mplayer command
line that will show me an accurate length reading for
_all_ video clips?