[MPlayer-users] MPlayer OS X and the Apple Remote

Robert Gutendorf robert.gutendorf at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 18:26:13 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Erik Hunger <lanir at cisns.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 09:19:33AM +0800, Ulion wrote:
> > 2008/4/25, Robert Gutendorf <robert.gutendorf at gmail.com>:
> > > Hey All-
> > >
> > >  I've searched the archives for an answer to my problem, but if I
> missed
> > >  something I apologize.
> > >
> > >  When I start MPlayer OS X from the GUI I can use the apple remote
> just fine.
> > >  But when I run the mplayer command from the terminal,  I am unable to
> use
> > >  remote. Is anyone else seeing this problem?
> > >
> > >  MPlayer OS X (1.0RC2)
> > >  OS X 10.4
> >
> > Where did you get the 1.0RC2 version of MPlayer OS X?, it is not
> > public released indeed.
>
> The software version referred to is the GUI version not the underlying
> mplayer version. It's over at http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/ if you
> wish to look at it but it hasn't been updated in almost 3 years. It looks
> like the version of mplayer used in it is MPlayer dev-SVN-r21482-4.0.1
>
> > any way, you can not let two mplayer running at the same time to
> > support apple remote, only one of them will work.
> > besides, you said 'run the mplayer command from the terminal', I guess
> > the mplayer you runned is not same version with the OS X one, you can
> > check the message head from the mplayer's output to see its version
> > info. If you want to run same mplayer with the OS X one, you should
> > find the internal path of the commandline mplayer inside the MPlayer
> > OS X application and use that one.
>
> Do a `which mplayer` to figure out which binary you're running from the
> commandline. I think I have the package Robert was using installed. To use
> that mplayer version the path would be something like this:
>
> /Applications/Local/MPlayer\
>
> OSX.app/Contents/Resources/External_Binaries/mplayer_intel.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer
>
> I'm not sure it's worth using that particular binary anymore. I think it's
> missing some security patches and it's seemed slower to me than more
> recent
> builds on my machine but YMMV.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I downloaded the RC2 version from http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/18580

I am able to run the mplayer command passing a video to it without a problem
using:
/Applications/Local/MPlayer\OSX.app/Contents/Resources/External_Binaries/mplayer_intel.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer
somevideo.avi
It just doesn't let me use the apple remote.

So I followed Guillaume's suggestion and downloaded the latest SVN from
http://www.haque.net/software/mplayer/mplayerosx/builds/

Downloaded, installed OK, when I try to open a video  I receive this
message.

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib

I did a google search, and some suggest re-installing X11. That does not
seem like the best solution to me. It looks like it may be because I am
running 10.4.11 and not 10.5.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Bob