[MPlayer-users] MPlayer OS X and the Apple Remote

Ulion ulion2002 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 02:53:29 CEST 2008

2008/4/27, Robert Gutendorf <robert.gutendorf at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Erik Hunger <lanir at cisns.net> wrote:
>
>  > On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 09:19:33AM +0800, Ulion wrote:
>  > > 2008/4/25, Robert Gutendorf <robert.gutendorf at gmail.com>:
>  > > > Hey All-
>  > > >
>  > > >  I've searched the archives for an answer to my problem, but if I
>  > missed
>  > > >  something I apologize.
>  > > >
>  > > >  When I start MPlayer OS X from the GUI I can use the apple remote
>  > just fine.
>  > > >  But when I run the mplayer command from the terminal,  I am unable to
>  > use
>  > > >  remote. Is anyone else seeing this problem?
>  > > >
>  > > >  MPlayer OS X (1.0RC2)
>  > > >  OS X 10.4
>  > >
>  > > Where did you get the 1.0RC2 version of MPlayer OS X?, it is not
>  > > public released indeed.
>  >
>  > The software version referred to is the GUI version not the underlying
>  > mplayer version. It's over at http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/ if you
>  > wish to look at it but it hasn't been updated in almost 3 years. It looks
>  > like the version of mplayer used in it is MPlayer dev-SVN-r21482-4.0.1
>  >
>  > > any way, you can not let two mplayer running at the same time to
>  > > support apple remote, only one of them will work.
>  > > besides, you said 'run the mplayer command from the terminal', I guess
>  > > the mplayer you runned is not same version with the OS X one, you can
>  > > check the message head from the mplayer's output to see its version
>  > > info. If you want to run same mplayer with the OS X one, you should
>  > > find the internal path of the commandline mplayer inside the MPlayer
>  > > OS X application and use that one.
>  >
>  > Do a `which mplayer` to figure out which binary you're running from the
>  > commandline. I think I have the package Robert was using installed. To use
>  > that mplayer version the path would be something like this:
>  >
>  > /Applications/Local/MPlayer\
>  >
>  > OSX.app/Contents/Resources/External_Binaries/mplayer_intel.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer
>  >
>  > I'm not sure it's worth using that particular binary anymore. I think it's
>  > missing some security patches and it's seemed slower to me than more
>  > recent
>  > builds on my machine but YMMV.
>  > MPlayer-users mailing list
>  > MPlayer-users at mplayerhq.hu
>  >

> Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
>
>  I downloaded the RC2 version from http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/18580
>
>  I am able to run the mplayer command passing a video to it without a problem
>  using:

> [...]

ok, 'MPlayer OS X' is an dead project on the sourceforge, its code is too old.
the 'MPlayer OSX' project under mplayer's website is the one you
should use, but it only has 1.0RC1 public released on mplayer site.
the haque.net version is unofficial build of mplayer osx, so it may
have problems to work on different versions of osx system.
There's a good version of official build of mplayer osx '1.0RC2', but
never public released, the reason is because the source code of
mplayer be used in it is newer than mplayer 1.0rc2, so it maybe not
suit for the version number '1.0RC2'.
Anyway, I will discuss with project manager about whether this build
can be released in either way later.
Another option is to build mplayer and MPlayer OSX by yourself, it's a
little complex.
As you can use the current haque's build of MPlayer OSX gui, the only
thing you need maybe to build a mplayer on your system by yourself and
copy it to overwrite the internal one of the 'MPlayer OSX'. the
internal path should like
/path_to/MPlayer
OSX.app/Contents/Resources/External_Binaries/mplayer.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer

--
Ulion