[MPlayer-users] DVD subtitles problem

alex at roalter.it alex at roalter.it
Sat Aug 9 12:20:37 CEST 2008

Daniel Cizinsky wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 08:44:22AM +0200, Nico Sabbi wrote:
>> Il giorno ven, 08/08/2008 alle 00.53 +0200, Daniel Cizinsky ha scritto:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I can't see any subtitles when playing DVD, but I can extract them and
play
>>> than... Strange.
>>>
>>> mplayer -v -sid 1 dvd://		# doesn't work
>> who told you that 1 is the correct id? DVD subs are
>> mapped from 0x20 to 0x3F. mplayer shouldn't use those ids,
>> but it does ...
The only time I saw the 0x20-0x3F-subtitles was in the dvdnav sources when
outputting the encountered subtitle streams (where simply 0x20 was added
in the printf line, IIRC.

Nowhere else did I see them.

> See the copy of output:
>
> subtitle ( sid ): 1 language: cs
>
> I does work for mencoder when dumping subtitles and even mplayer says that:
> ==> Found subtitle: 0: -0.004 ct:  0.085 721/721  4%  0%  0.7% 1 0
> ==> Found subtitle: 1
>
> It's "just" not visible.

Same is valid for my setup, but try the following: cycle through the
entire subtitles with the 'j' key to return to your sid #1, and the
subtitles should appear.

With DVDNAV, they disappear after each chapter break, with normal DVD they
don't.

With some DVDs from Paramount and Dreamworks, probably b/c of their
mastering, the subtitles appear already at the beginning, even if I
specified -forcedsubsonly.

All I can say at this moment is that subtitles have been working better in
the past, at the moment it's not as flawless as one hopes it to be.

When playing the dumped stream, the subtitles appear as expected, but to
my knowledge, this is again another program path taken, as are the dvdnav
and dvd paths.