[MPlayer-users] (macosx) How to build a mplayer.app from svn?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Feb 12 12:58:10 CET 2008

John Brown wrote:

> The Wanderer writes:
>
>> David Wagner wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think that's quite the right answer to his question. He
>>> wants a MacOSX app.
>>
>> The only hint as to that is in the Subject line ...
>
> Ah, those pesky Subject lines, just taking up space on mail servers
> and clogging up the Internet. If it wasn't for the subject, mail
> progs could display something more useful, such as the the
> Message-ID, or even better, the Content-Type :)

I understand that your intent is simple humor, but really, at first
blush this reads to me as somewhere between sarcastic and condescending.

The Subject line is neither useless nor optional, but it should never be
considered more than an index and/or a summary; essential information
about a message should *never* be present only in the Subject line.
(Cases where the message body contains something like "See the subject
line" are borderline, but are only sometimes acceptable.)

> (macosx) was the very first thing after the compulsory
> [MPlayer-users].

Yes. However, as far as I have ever heard, just the fact of running
MacOS X does not mean that *only* MacOS-specific GUIs will work. The
only hint that he was not interested in one of the "normal" GUIs was the
presence of the '.app', which is not particularly obtrusive, and which
as I said I did not notice until after hitting Send.

--
    The Wanderer

    My usual .sig is on vacation while I adjust to my new computer