[MPlayer-users] Strange MPlayer behavior when playing on TV

Marcin Zajączkowski mszpak at wp.pl
Sat Feb 16 18:36:39 CET 2008

On 2008-02-16 15:50, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
(...)
>> MPlayer works strange with X-server (only) started on TV. It shows the
>> first frame (or some from the begin of movie) and stops. When
>> paused/resumed it plays a few frames and stops again. The same when
>> forwarded.
>>
>> I happens on Fedora 8. I have no problem with it on Fedora 5. I use the
(...)
>> I don't know if it's a problem with mplayer, but maybe you know what
>> could be a reason (and maybe in addition how it could be fixed)?
>
> It might have been fixed later in SVN. Please download the latest source
> snapshot, build it and test if it still misbehaves. Assuming it works with
> current SVN, if you could then identify the SVN commit that fixed the
> issue, I could apply it to the RPM package. I would do it myself, but
> because I have no TV, I can't test it.

Unfortunately latest source doesn't work properly on my TV either, but
it gave me an idea to dig in another direction. I logged debug messages
from both runs and discovered, that it is a problem with sound decoding,
especially with pulseaudio.

It has a "feature" that sound isn't played when main X-server is not
active (e.g. another is active - like in my case or tty console is
opened). When I start movie on my TV, switch to default X I hear sound
from the movie... With oss or alsa output movie is played with normal
speed, but without sound at all. I will try to determine is it possible
to tell pulseaudio to play in that situation, but there is already on
open ticket about that (1 month):
http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/205

Thanks for your help
Marcin