[MPlayer-users] alternatives to -streamdump

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Sun Feb 17 22:03:24 CET 2008

> -dumpstream doesn't exactly preserve the subtitles anyways.

It doesn't? In what way?

>  You also need to copy the IFO, and tell MPlayer to look for it.

Yikes, you can do that? How?! Very interested.

I should probably explain that the project in which I've used mplayer is a
server for playing video to a projection screen in movie theatres. They
occasionally - with the copyright holder's permission - need to show DVDs,
and the only way I found to provide my users with a (somewhat) friendly
interface is to use dumpstream. Otherwise, I'm forced to go to an external
program to prepare the VOB.

We have already been badly caught-out by one disc which had most of its
subtitles as normal DVD subs, but the English subs burned-in on another copy
of the video. Crazy stuff.

Phil