[MPlayer-users] Move mouse to disable screensaver

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Feb 27 00:48:19 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 05:49:56PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> Quite some time ago, MPlayer used to disable screensaver automatically
> when run and enable it again on its own, but this seems to have fallen
> by the wayside with some now-long-ago changes to make the
> screensaver-related code more generic and less implementation-specific;
> it hasn't worked at all for me ever since. I don't really miss it much
> anymore, either, but it certainly bothered me at the time.

Well, you have to configure it with -heartbeat-cmd to run the command
that pings/disables your screensaver. In the case if xscreensaver that
is even in the FAQ, just that the author considers his screensaver
oh-so-important that he expects everyone to hardcode his special command
into applications. Obviously everyone using KDE is not worth a
consideration in comparison to the might xscreensaver...
Sorry for the sarcasm, but given the state of things with screensavers,
this is rather tame way to put it..
Note: examples for heartbeat-cmd are in the man page and I'll add more
examples if your screensaver needs something else and you can not get
the author to support the appropriate X-APIs.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger