[MPlayer-users] Move mouse to disable screensaver

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Feb 27 12:59:26 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 06:55:45AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > Well, you have to configure it with -heartbeat-cmd to run the command
> > that pings/disables your screensaver.
>
> This would work now, yes (assuming that the command to disable the
> screensaver does not make it necessary to later use a *different*
> command to re-enable it, as is the case with 'xset s off' and 'xset s
> on')

That is true, but these methods are better used in a outside script,
since compared to MPlayer the shell is unlikely to crash, so doing this
outside MPlayer makes it more likely to work (though admittedly more
effort for the user, and admittedly MPlayer does disable dpms despite
it having exactly this problem - well, I am not going to claim that
MPlayer's screensaver/DPMS support is not messy ;-) ).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger