[MPlayer-users] Twisted picture (line scan or frequency problem?)

yh jupiter.hce at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 07:25:03 CET 2008

On 2008-01-01 14:15+0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>On Tuesday, 01 January 2008 at 02:09, jupiter.hce at gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am play the mplayer on FC 5, it works fine with some DVDs. But it
>> does not work with others, especially for those DVDs I borrowed from
>> local libraries (VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB, I guess MPEG2 format). The
>> mplayer display a twisted picture with 3 columns repeated the same
>> contents and the line flashed.
>>
>> It seems to me that the problem is related to set up line scan or
>> frequency, how can I adjust them?
>
>I'm quite certain it is not. I'm guessing it might be a video driver
>problem. See below.
>
>> I tried to use key w and e as
>> suggested from the manual, but could not get it work.
>
>Those are for controlling the pan-and-scan function, which is used, for
>example, to crop the sides of a 16:9 movie to make it fit a 4:3 display
>without black bands. That's a different thing entirely.
>
>> On my command line, I simply called following:
>>
>> mplayer -fs dvd:////media/disk/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB
>
>Although that's probably unrelated, the proper way of playing
>DVDs is simply
>
>mplayer dvd://N
>
>where 'N' is an optional title number. The disc doesn't have to be mounted
>for playback to work. The above command will assume that /dev/dvd points to
>your DVD drive, so either make sure the symlink is correct or use
>-dvd-device to specify the correct device manually.
>
>Additionally, your distribution is very old and no longer supported.
>I suggest upgrading to at least F7.

I'll.

>As for your playback problem, it's a bit difficult to guess what you're
>seeing. I'd suggest trying a different video output driver (say, -vo x11)
>and checking if it still happens. If it does, please take a screenshot and
>upload it to some public image hosting service, for example imageshack.us.
>We will also need the output of
>mplayer -v -vo x11 dvd://

You are right, the problem has gone after adding -vo x11, now I got a normal picture. But, the video only displays a short picture (1 minute prolog), then it stopped. Confused again...

Let me clarify more, the DVD disk is a DVD-R, my DVD driver is DVD+R, I
suspect that might caused the problem. So, I think if I copy DVD contents to
harddisk in /home/Video then playing from hardisk should fine, but it still did not work. I called following command, please correct me:

mplayer dvd://home/Video/1

Thank you and happy new year.

Jim