[MPlayer-users] A 1:1 rendition, please

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Thu Jan 3 16:24:49 CET 2008

ajaxas wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 09:40:14 -0500
> Rashkae <rashkae at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
>
>> I think you misunderstand the problem.. (or I'm way over my head)..
>> assuming you have an lcd monitor, that therefore almost always has
>> square pixels, try mplayer with -monitorpixelaspect 1.
>
> This is the default now, man mplayer:
> -monitorpixelaspect <ratio> (also see -aspect)		Set the aspect of
> a single pixel of your monitor or TV screen (default: 1).  A value of 1 means
> square pixels (correct for (almost?) all LCDs).

Right, but the OP seemed to imply he feels compelled to customize
monitorapsect for different movies... It's my understanding that monitor
aspect need only be set to your screen/resolution combination.. Once you
have that correct, Mplayer should scale all movies appropriately
(assuming the movie has correct scaling information to begin with.).

and it's not clear yet whether his older version was still one that
defaulted to 4:3 monitor aspect.  Hmm, but since 16:9 seemed to work for
him, I suspect OP has a very strange monitor size/resolution combo
going..   I apologize if this was asked, but what kind of screen is
being used and at what resolution?