[MPlayer-users] stop-xscreensaver doesn't work anymore

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Jan 14 12:45:06 CET 2008

Hello,
On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:15:45PM +0100, Roberto Malinverni wrote:
[...]
> The screensaver comes on during video playback. I use xscreensaver 5.04 (rpm
> shipped with fedora 8)
> which has always worked fine with "stop-screensaver=yes" in the MPlayer's
> config file.

Yes, but that code was about 80 lines of code just to support one single
screensaver. With that approach we'd probably end up with a thousand lines of
code and still wouldn't support all screensavers.

> I have no idea regarding its support for XSuspendScreensaver and
> XResetScreensaver.

Seems it is non-existent. Reportedly the ubuntu version does support it
though. No idea.

> BTW, I tried the -heartbeat-cmd command, but - unless I screwed up something
> - even this has no effect.
> The commandline was:
> mplayer -heartbeat-cmd "echo ddd >/dev/null" dvd://1

Well, how is "echo ddd >/dev/null" supposed to stop your screensaver?
See the xscreensaver FAQ or the latest version of the man page for a
command to disable it.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger