[MPlayer-users] Blu-Ray Playback/Subtitles

galenz at zinkconsulting.com galenz at zinkconsulting.com
Fri Jan 18 02:34:53 CET 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 1:24 PM, Nan Null wrote:

> [...]

The encryption used on DVDs was quite trivial - both flawed and easily
cracked using brute-force. The encryption used on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD
is crytographically sound and it is unlikely significant flaws will be
found or that brute-force will prove viable anytime soon.

That said, all DRM (no matter how sound the encryption) is basically a
game of giving the user both encrypted data and a decryption key, but
trying to keep them from using the decryption key, except through the
particular mechanism the media provider chooses.

Therefore, users have found ways to get the decryption keys for Blu-
ray and HD-DVD discs. However, these keys are quickly revoked, so new
discs require the extraction of new keys. This means there is not, and
likely never will be, a simple library for decrypting the high
definition discs, like exists for regular discs.

Also, the menu system for HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray discs is much more
complex than DVDs, so will be unlikely a complete menu system for high
definition discs will emerge.

Do note, in the US, the DMCA forbids the breaking of encryption that
relates to copy protection.

-Galen