[MPlayer-users] MEncoder: How to encode a CBR MPEG2 Transport Stream?

Nico Sabbi Nicola.Sabbi at poste.it
Thu Jan 24 10:04:10 CET 2008

Il Thursday 24 January 2008 09:57:48 Fabio Porcedda ha scritto:
> Hi all,
> i want to encode a Constant Bit Rate Transport Stream, but i
> successfully encoded only VBR MPEG2 Transport Stream.
>
> There is an option for encoding CBR TS instead of VBR TS?
>
> CBR TS are VBR with null packets (PID = 0x1FFF).
>
> I used the muxrate option but seems don't change anything for me.
>
> For transcoding to a MPEG 2 - Transport Stream (DVB-T compliant)  i
> use: mencoder <input-video> -o <output-video>.ts -ovc lavc -oac
> lavc -of lavf \ -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=<rate>:acodec=mp2 -vf scale=720:576
> -ofps 25
>
> I need this for DVB-T playout.
> Sample of CBR MPEG2 Transport Stream is this:
> http://www.dododge.net/roku/hd-test-streams/mpt-smart-travels-class
>ical-clip.ts (http://www.dododge.net/roku/ts-samples.html)
>
> Thanks in advance and sorry for my bud english.
> Fabio Porcedda

give up: the TS muxer that mencoder uses is the same in ffmpeg,
that royally sucks.
In ffmpeg-soc there's a new TS muxer that is rumoured to be good,
so if you wish you can begin backporting it to ffmpeg.

There are also 2 other TS muxers that you can use: one is VLC
(vls --sout '#std{mux=ts,access=file,url=file.ts}' ... or something
impossible like that) and another one is in tcvp