[MPlayer-users] Next rc or 1.0 anyone

Daniel Taylor dtaylor at vocalabs.com
Tue Jul 1 14:18:26 CEST 2008

Raimund Berger wrote:
> Nan Null <hovh03 at yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> The biggest problem is not seeing a value in a good coordinated
>> release.  There's a science to release a piece of engineer.  It's no
>> secret.  One way maybe better than another, but not doing it at all
>> is just reckless.
>
> You're dragging this back on the personal level, which is pretty much
> fruitless. I'd recommend restraining from making such comments.
>
> Everybody obviously agrees that regular release cycles would be good
> to have. It's rather about the price it'd cost and how to minimize it,
> just to start it off. As soon as procedures are established and
> working, the rewards in form of positive feedback etc. will likely be
> motivation enough to continue.
>
> Finally, while I don't know on what "big projects" you have been
> working on, please remember that open source works differently from
> corporate projects. Effective scm plays a crucial role here,
> especially since it's usually that hard to bring ppl together.

Subversion is more than adequate for a proper release cycle. It is
already used successfully by many projects for exactly that purpose.

All that is necessary is choosing a spot, creating a release branch, and
running with it from there, with the release branch being treated as
feature-stable and continued development on the main branch.

Git is a wonderful tool, but there are deeper problems here than a
revision control tool can fix.

--
Daniel Taylor          VP Operations            Vocal Laboratories, Inc.
dtaylor at vocalabs.com   http://www.vocalabs.com/        (952)941-6580x203