[MPlayer-users] How to get a remote avi section with mplayer (via HTTP) ??

Abel Campos abeljus at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 18:34:37 CEST 2008

Hi all!
I would like to get a section of a remote AVI file (via HTTP), and save it
in a local file using 'mplayer' in command line, but I don`t know how to do
it (if it is possible).

I can play a section of the remote avi file specifying the begin time using
the -ss option, but not the end time.
$ mplayer http://<url>/<file>.avi -ss <seek_seconds>

In other way, I can save the entire file in a local file

but what i need is just a section (without having to wait the entire file to
download).

I have tried the -ss and -dumpstream options together, but the -ss option
seems to be ignored.

Any idea??

Thank you very much!