[MPlayer-users] Any way to get Xv playback without tearing on fglrx?

Wed Jul 23 19:51:27 CEST 2008

Hi Nikos Chantziaras!

 On 2008.07.23 at 18:00:09 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote next:

> > Well actually you should try xf86-video-ati driver.. It supports xv & gl
> > on x1950 already (at least rumored to do so, haven't tried it, but i'm
> > planning to switch to it soon).
>
> Didn't look into it yet.  Had no idea they will support R5xx chips.
> I'll try compiling the latest snapshot of the driver.

Wait, before you do so, go to phoronix.com. There are nice instructions
there on forums.

In short: you can use 3D on Fedora 9 out of the box (after installing
latest updates), probably on Ubuntu 8.10 alpha and, with some effort,
you can do it on current Ubuntu 8.04.  Otherwise, it's not exactly as
easy as compiling driver. You'll need kernel with recent DRM (2.6.26 or
patched 2.6.25), you need libdrm and Mesa 7.1 from git, you also need X
server 1.5 (not yet out, so take 1.4.99.905 or something like that) from
Xorg 7.4.

If any of these requirements aren't met, 3D either won't work, or you'll
meet a lot of problems (such as hard lockups). If they are met, you'll
get working 3D after compiling & installing ati driver (better from git,
although 6.9.0 should also work fine).

>  > 4) use -vo gl:yuv=2:swapinterval=1:force-pbo:ati-hack
>
> Tried those.  Still same problems :P  Going fullscreen and back to
> window complete locks up the graphics card.  Even switching to a console

That's sad. I've never had such problems, so I can't really help you
(though you might want to seek help on phoronix forums, people there
know pretty much, there are even ati guys there).

> and blindly logging in as root to shut down kdm and restart it does not
> restore the display.  Only reboot helps.  Yep, it's ATI alright ;P

Even if it's ati, that's a bit too much..

--

Vladimir