[MPlayer-users] Any way to get Xv playback without tearing on fglrx?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Wed Jul 23 17:00:09 CEST 2008

Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hi Nikos Chantziaras!
>
>  On 2008.07.22 at 23:44:51 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote next:
>
>> Yeah, I know, ATI sucks with this poor excuse of a driver called
>> "fglrx", but I'll ask anyway since the X1950XT only runs with this
>> driver.  Video tearing is unbearable with Xv output.  Switching to gl
>
> Well actually you should try xf86-video-ati driver.. It supports xv & gl
> on x1950 already (at least rumored to do so, haven't tried it, but i'm
> planning to switch to it soon).

Didn't look into it yet.  Had no idea they will support R5xx chips.
I'll try compiling the latest snapshot of the driver.

>> results in ATI's "Blue Screen of Death for Linux" port showing up after
>> about 10 minutes of continuous playback.  Anything I can do short of
>
> I don't think you can remove tearing with xv, but gl output should work.
> At least it does for me. Make sure you
>
> 1) have latest catalyst driver

Checked.  It's 8.7.

> 2) have clean xorg.conf. Don't even think about using some obscure
>    options like texturedXrender or something! Here's mine: bare
>    necessaries plus vsync.
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Device0"
>         Driver      "fglrx"
>         Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
>         Option      "IgnoreEDID" "off"
>         Option      "TexturedVideo" "on"
>         Option      "TexturedVideoSync" "on"
>         Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "on"
>         Option      "UseFastTLS" "2"
>         Option      "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
>         BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
> EndSection
 > [...]
 > 4) use -vo gl:yuv=2:swapinterval=1:force-pbo:ati-hack

Tried those.  Still same problems :P  Going fullscreen and back to
window complete locks up the graphics card.  Even switching to a console
and blindly logging in as root to shut down kdm and restart it does not
restore the display.  Only reboot helps.  Yep, it's ATI alright ;P

> 3) amdcccle works for you (sliders actually move and settings are
>    saved). You should set vsync on the advanced settings page to any of
>    the two rightmost settings.

Yes, I had enabled that already to get playback without tearing with gl
(which turns out to be extremely unstable).

I'm fed up with ATI.  I also notice that the graphics card gets much
hotter in Linux (the fan spins up when going into X) with fglrx than in
Windows with the Windows drivers.  ATI's fglrx driver is overclocking
the card constantly while in Windows it only gets overclocked in 3D mode
and there are no settings in Linux amdcccle to reduce the clocks.  Hell,
even the VESA and FB drivers are better than this, lol :P