[MPlayer-users] Is it bug, or my linux OS (sound/video drivers) misconfiguration ?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Mon Jul 28 03:14:31 CEST 2008

Igor wrote:
> Probably the following will be interesting for someone:
> if i set mplayer "ao" to oss,
> AO: [oss] 16000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
> then frame-by-frame not working (as i write in my first post) for only one my file
> http://dimedrol.sviblovo.ru/taina_upravlenia_chelovechestvom.avi ,
> but working for any other my videos.
> And after playing flash video in firefox (youtube), oss become locked (until firefox restart):
> [AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
> Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
> Audio: no sound

I solved all these problems by completely disabling sound support in the
kernel and installing Open Sound System version 4.

I also disabled aRts and ESD and configured all programs to use OSS
directly.  No problems; all of them are accessing /dev/dsp at the same
time with no problems.

Homepage: http://www.opensound.com
Gentoo Howto: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Howto_OSS4
(Has useful links.)