[MPlayer-users] OT Re: Using mplayer with NX

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Thu Jun 5 21:33:06 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 17:35, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> configurability? That's why we were trying to export /dev/videox
> directly.

You're going to have problems making anything that from userspace
presents a file that behaves like /dev/videox and responds to
ioctl's... no wait, actually with LD_PRELOAD tricks and a library that
intercepts the open, ioctl's and reads  of /dev/videox might work, but
you'd still have to get a datafeed from the webcam back.. At that point
you'll be doing video encoding on the thinclient (but for webcam, say
352x288 at 10 - 15 fps, it wont require Ghz of cpu, maybe something
like 500mhz of pentium), you probably don't want to send the webcam
output uncompressed over the wire. I don't know of anything that will
do this.

No ready solutions exist :)