[MPlayer-users] OT Re: Using mplayer with NX

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Thu Jun 5 23:02:29 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 22:33 +0300, Jan Knutar wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 June 2008 17:35, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>
> > configurability? That's why we were trying to export /dev/videox
> > directly.
>
> You're going to have problems making anything that from userspace
> presents a file that behaves like /dev/videox and responds to
> ioctl's... no wait, actually with LD_PRELOAD tricks and a library that
> intercepts the open, ioctl's and reads  of /dev/videox might work, but
> you'd still have to get a datafeed from the webcam back.. At that point
> you'll be doing video encoding on the thinclient (but for webcam, say
> 352x288 at 10 - 15 fps, it wont require Ghz of cpu, maybe something
> like 500mhz of pentium), you probably don't want to send the webcam
> output uncompressed over the wire. I don't know of anything that will
> do this.
>
> No ready solutions exist :)

Thanks very much.  I do greatly appreciate your help on such a difficult
problem where I am quite out of my depth.  On the other hand, with my
CIO hat on, I see video as one of the next big revolutions in IT and
society in general.  It isn't going to become any less important.
Somehow, we are going to have to marry video and cloud computing.  Take
care - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation