[MPlayer-users] Bug? AVS source not reporting YUY2 file correctly?

Nicolas Hesler nicolas.hesler at sheridanc.on.ca
Thu Jun 19 23:00:11 CEST 2008

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>>     * Why is AVS support in ffmpeg different from Mplayer?
>>

> I don't know what you actually want to ask with that, like that the best
> answer is "why not"? MPlayer and FFmpeg are different programs after
> all.

I understand that they are different, but in this case, why would you
want to limit the color space on the input of an input type?

The why stems from my not quite understanding the state of development
of both projects. What Mplayer/Mencoder uses from ffmpeg and what it
doesn't?

Is it safe to assume that you should use ffmpeg/x264/etc. unless you
absolutely need to use Mencoder filtering and sync?  I'm a little
clueless when it comes to making that decision and knowing which project
is a better solution for a given encoding task.

>>     * It doesn't seem to make mention of a color space conversion in the
>>       output. Am I missing something?
>>

> The conversion is added to the AVISynth script so you won't see anything
> about it in the MPlayer output.

Good to know.  THANKS!