[MPlayer-users] wrong encoding with delayed sound

Krzysztof Duchnowski amidk75 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 23:30:58 CET 2008

Seweryn Walentynowicz pisze:
>   I often use mencoder to encode movies clip for my home stationary player.
> Always works fine. But now I'm having problem with encoding some
> material originally in .rmvb format.
>  I encode with this few options:

>   mencoder -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:preset=128 -ofps 25 -ffourcc DX50
>            -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1000

>  nothing special. Output video works fine on mplayer, totem and other
> player on computer, but when I play this movie on stationary player
> audio is delayed permanently about 10 secs.
>   As I wrote, I encode many movies with similar options and all works
> fine on my stationary player. I don't have any idea why this one not
> work. I put 2 minute sample ( about 10 MB ) of this file on:
>   http://demo.dla.wszystkich.pl/movie1000_2min.avi
> I don't see any skipped frames, bad index, big A/V correction in this
> file when I play it on mplayer. So, what is bad in it, which lead to
> delay audio on stationary player.
>  Thanks for any suggestion...

It's because audio is encoded with external library (LAME) and video is
encoded with internal ffmpeg library. Sometimes adding "-noskip" and
"-mc 0" works out the problem but sometimes even that wont work.
But... it's workaround:

mkfifo audio.fifo
mplayer movie.rmvb -vo null -ao pcm:file=audio.fifo & lame --preset 128
audio.fifo audio.mp3
mencoder movie.rmvb -audiofile audio.mp3 -oac copy -ofps 25 -ffourcc
DX50  -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1000 -mc 0 -o movie.avi
rm -f audio.fifo

--
Krzysztof 'DK75' Duchnowski
GetFirefox - http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/