[MPlayer-users] libdvdread: Invalid IFO for title 3

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Tue Mar 4 00:14:36 CET 2008

Roland Roberts wrote:
> I have a DVD I purchased a few months ago that I wanted to burn to read
> on a mini player while on the train.  It's a set of educational
> lectures, and I've watched most of them at home, so I know the disk is
> playable, but when I attempt to watch anything past the second title, I
> get the error below.
>
> I searched and found this thread
> (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.user/55350) which
> suggest using libdvdnav from svn.  So I downloaded both mplayer and
> libdvdnav from svn, installed libdvdnav, then configured and built
> mplayer.  The message below is from this newly built version.
>
> If I start at title 1, it plays until the end of the title, then dies
> with the same message.
>
> Any suggestions on where to look next?

It seems strange that this happens to this DVD. I got this message only
when playing copy-protected discs with one special "X-Protect"
mechanism, which completely messes up the UDF and/or ISO file system,
making it unable for mplayer (or better put: libdvdread) to access the
files. I returned the DVD and never got one again with this protection,
so I cannot say if this is the behavior you describe. One interesting
thing is that the disc is all-region, which usually is not a strong
indicator that the disc is using mechanisms of copy-protection other
than CSS.

Nonetheless, there's a patch out there who claims to patch libdvdread in
order to access these protected discs by reading them like a DVD player
does, not via the file system. Best google for it (something like
libdvdread, patch and x-protect). Some packages have already integrated
this patch, but I haven't read from it on this list.

--
Cheers,
Alex