[MPlayer-users] libdvdread: Invalid IFO for title 3

Roland Roberts roland at astrofoto.org
Tue Mar 4 03:23:20 CET 2008

Alexander Roalter wrote:
> Roland Roberts wrote:
>
>> I searched and found this thread
>> (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.user/55350) which
>> suggest using libdvdnav from svn.  So I downloaded both mplayer and
>> libdvdnav from svn, installed libdvdnav, then configured and built
>> mplayer.  The message below is from this newly built version.
>>
>> [...]
>>

> It seems strange that this happens to this DVD. I got this message only
> when playing copy-protected discs with one special "X-Protect"
> mechanism, which completely messes up the UDF and/or ISO file system,
> making it unable for mplayer (or better put: libdvdread) to access the
> files. I returned the DVD and never got one again with this protection,
> so I cannot say if this is the behavior you describe. One interesting
> thing is that the disc is all-region, which usually is not a strong
> indicator that the disc is using mechanisms of copy-protection other
> than CSS.
>
> Nonetheless, there's a patch out there who claims to patch libdvdread in
> order to access these protected discs by reading them like a DVD player
> does, not via the file system. Best google for it (something like
> libdvdread, patch and x-protect). Some packages have already integrated
> this patch, but I haven't read from it on this list.

I thought about your point about the all-region DVD and realized it
didn't make sense that it wouldn't read.  So I tried another DVD from
the series and it had no problem.  Then I went back to the original DVD
and it also had no problem!

The only thing I can think of at this point is some strange interference
from VMware.  I found one such mention in (I think) a Fedora forum.  At
the time of my earlier problems, VMware had been running and had grabbed
the DVD.  I *had* then disconnected it from the VMware guest, but....

At this point, I can't duplicate the problem, with or without VMware
running, so I don't know. what to think.

roland

--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland at rlenter.com                            6818 Madeline Court