[MPlayer-users] MPlayer Graphics FrontEnd & Idle Mode

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Mar 27 15:56:12 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 08:46:06AM -0600, Kevin DeKorte wrote:
> marko wrote:
> | Hi community,
> | i am developing (yet another) graphical front-end for this great
> | software which is mplayer.
> | The main idea is to create a winamp-like interface with a playlist; i
> | have decided to use the "idle" parameter instead of create/destroy the
> | mplayer.exe process everytime.
> | Mplayer tells me when it starts to play with msg "starting playback..."
> | but it does not print a "end playback" msg.
> | Is there a way to detect the "end of playback" event?
> | thanks.
> | Marco Antonio
>
> Marco,
>
> I asked for this same thing. I'm the developer of Gnome Mplayer and that
> is why I decided not to use -idle since there was no way to know when a
> media file was complete.

There may be no obvious or trivial or even non-ugly ways, but there sure are ways.
You could check if the status line gets printed (might cost a bit
performance though, on the other hand it might help to detect hangs) or
you just add a dummy file at the end. E.g. playbackdone://done should
work just fine, though with old MPlayer versions that will try to do
something stupid, like trying to play a file named "kdone://done" or
something like that.
I'm sure you can find a whole load of other ways (e.g. get_property filename is probably
useful for this as well), besides sending a patch that adds whatever you need to MPlayer.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger