[MPlayer-users] MPlayer Graphics FrontEnd & Idle Mode

Kevin DeKorte kdekorte at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 16:55:30 CET 2008

Reimar Döffinger wrote:

| There may be no obvious or trivial or even non-ugly ways, but there
sure are ways.
| You could check if the status line gets printed (might cost a bit
| performance though, on the other hand it might help to detect hangs) or
| you just add a dummy file at the end. E.g. playbackdone://done should
| work just fine, though with old MPlayer versions that will try to do
| something stupid, like trying to play a file named "kdone://done" or
| something like that.

Sure something like that work, but is obviously not a nice clean method
of doing that since you would end up with a playlist that looks
something like this..

realfile1.media
done://done
realfile2.media
done://done
realfile3.media
done://done

And you would have to manage a playlist like that by knowing the "magic"
you put in it. While it may work, I don't consider that an acceptable
solution.

Monitoring the status line isn't any good either since when the file is
complete the status line is just no longer outputted, a timeout would
have to be implemented to look for the last status line and then
magically "guess" that file was complete when the timeout expired
because no more status lines were being issued.

There was a patch that printed "media done" or something like that,that
was posted to the list, and it never got merged.

| I'm sure you can find a whole load of other ways (e.g. get_property
filename is probably
| useful for this as well), besides sending a patch that adds whatever
you need to MPlayer.

get_property filename is useless since if there is no file being played
since it doesn't do anything. The slave interface works best when there
is one  request and one response. So anytime a request doesn't give a
response the interface is basically broken. What would a developer have
to do? Implement a timeout for the property request to fail? That is
unacceptable. Responding with "ANS_PROPERTY_FILENAME=no file" or even
'ANS_PROPERTY_FILENAME=NULL' would much much better.

Kevin
- --
Get my public GnuPG key from
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x7D0BD5D1