[MPlayer-users] AC3 via optical out on Mac Mini

Mike Z zimcomm at hotmail.com
Mon May 5 03:55:43 CEST 2008

> OK, your mplayer version isn't the newest, indeed, the code to support
> of ac3 output on macosx was commited just after the 1.0rc2 timestamp.
> But you can found the usable version of mplayer in the MPlayer OSX
> 1.0rc2 in the mplayer's download page, it use some later code of
> mplayer, and have many very useful improvements.
>
> --
> Ulion

Grabbing the latest source I was able to have success.  I must have gotten an old copy by mistake.  Thanks!  For the help of
other Mac folks...

download: http://www3.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/rel...apshot.tar.bz2

bunzip2 mplayer-export-snapshot.tar.bz2

tar -xpf mplayer-export-snapshot.tar

cd mplayer-checkout-2008-05-04/  (or the date from yours)

./configure --disable-x11

make

mv mplayer ~/bin

rehash

mplayer -ao macos -afm hwac3 -channels 6 Video.avi

I can't explain why, but I did not have success with the Mac GUI build from the site.  I tried both the "latest" and the 080327 downloads.  Other folks have indicated success with those, I cannot explain why I did not, but when I did my own compile it did.